Tampa, FL – (January 4, 2011) –Amscot Financial, a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, has made mini-grants of $100 to $250 to nine non-profit service organizations in its 15-county service area. The grants went to:
- Tampa Police Fraternal Order of Police, Tampa. This organization provides a holiday season for underprivileged inner-city kids in Tampa. The Tampa Police Fraternal Order of Police obtains items students need for the school year, such as winter clothes as well as toys on their wish lists that their parents can’t afford.
- West Manatee Fire & Rescue Bike Team, Holmes Beach. The bicycle team conducts a “bicycle rodeo,” which is a clinic that helps teach children the importance of riding a bicycle safely. The event also teaches kids skills and precautions needed to have a safe time on their bicycles. The team travels to schools, churches, home school groups, after school programs and other venues to teach bicycle safety. For more information, visit the website www.wmfr.org.
- Derrick Brooks Charities, Tampa. The mission of this organization is to prepare young people aged 14-18 to successfully enter post-secondary education or an occupational training program. Since its inception in 2006, the program has offered students an array of workshops, classes and college tours to assist them in preparing for college. For more information, visit the website www.db55.org
- The Rope Center, Hudson. Founder Jim Campbell and his wife were inspired to create a place to give people a leg up and not a hand out. They provide a transitional living center to help homeless people get back on their feet. The center offers resources that help clients find jobs, food stamps, clothes and other aid. For more information, visit the website www.theropecenter.com
- New Faith Free Methodist Church, St. Petersburg. The Learning Lair is a free, volunteer-staffed after-school tutorial program for grades K-12. Tutors work one-on-one and offer a variety of programs, such as homework assistance, tutoring in all subject areas, computer training, educational field trips, reading labs and a summer reading program.
- Tucker Enterprise Youth Foundation, Oldsmar. This foundation provides a day “Kids Day Out” designed to bring the community together for a day of family-friendly activities. It invites other local community organizations to educate participants on various topics from child safety to health and financial wellness. For more information, visit the website www.tuckerenterprise.com.
- Tampa Bay Black Heritage Festival, Tampa. The Tampa Bay Black Heritage Festival seeks to promote diversity and cultural sensitivity through a variety of activities. For more information, visit the website www.tampablackheritage.org.
- Tampa Jewish Family Services, Tampa. This organization serves the Hillsborough County community through a food bank, mental health counseling and a family empowerment program. TJFS is unique in that it provides food with no restrictions and provides emergency food bags for those between pick-up dates. For more information, visit the website www.tjfs.org
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Sebring. This organization provides one-on-one mentoring to children aged 6 to 18. It has a powerful impact on children’s academic performance, self-confidence, attitude and relationships.
For more information, visit the website www.bbbssun.org.
About Amscot Financial
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., Amscot Financial is The Money Superstore™, providing income tax preparation and electronic filing services, refund anticipation loans, prepaid debit cards, check cashing services, cash advance services, bill payment services, money transfer services and money orders. Amscot also offers the Amscot Card, a pre-paid debit card that allows owners to make purchases from any location that accepts MasterCard™. Amscot Financial currently operates 174 Money Superstores throughout Florida and employs more than 2,000 people. Amscot Financial has been recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of Tampa Bay’s Best Places to Work for four consecutive years. For additional information, please visit the company’s Web site at www.amscotfinancial.com.
For more information, please contact:
Joe Kilsheimer, Public Relations, at (407) 880-2512 or